My work is ORIGINAL...Don't be a thief.

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected What is written in this blog, is of the author's own originality. It contains the sole views, thoughts, and stories of this blog's author.

Monday, December 20, 2010

"Happy ChristmaHannauKwanzaaSolstice"

This post is provided by my "sisa from anutha mutha", Dez over at Discordant Lullabye .

It's title is Happy ChristmaHannauKwanzaaSolstice...

It's a copy of her 'note' post over on FaceBook, in her words. But I did space it out. Yes, I do (as a Christian) agree with EVERY single word she writes.

....

“Jesus is the reason for the season.”

We've all heard this saying once or twice during the holidays. But did those who repeat these ever stop to think that maybe He's not? Fact is, Christmas is based on Pagan holidays. The Christians of the time didn't like all these Pagans running around having a peaceful mid-winter holiday with their trees and lights and presents and decided to ninja it. Yes, we should all be very proud of our ninja ancestors. :) We can't keep Christ in Christmas because He was never there. Because of all the confusion getting caught up in Christians insisting He was born in December, we can't even really be sure when He was born! Whether you think it's during the spring or in the autumn, most biblical scholars will agree that it was not in December. Shepherds in the fields in December? They'd freeze to death!

If you really think about it, what do pine trees and bright lights have to do with the birth of our Savior? Um nothing? Jesus didn't command us to do any of those things at the time of His birth. Come to think of it, He really didn't tell us to celebrate His birth at all! It seems to me that those who are most upset about people saying Happy Holidays or calling a tree a holiday tree are the ones who insist that Jesus was born on Dec. 25th and they're also the ones who will insist that there's nothing wrong with their kids believing in Santa Claus. I have no personal beef with those who have Santa as part of their holiday. I have problems with people insisting it's a Christian holiday and refuse to see it as anything else AND including Santa. One does not add up to the other.

Now for my family personally, we don't do Santa and never have. That's our personal family belief. We do happen to celebrate Dec. 25th as Jesus birthday just because we don't honestly know when it is and we should celebrate Him EVERY day! No matter what day He was born on, He was born and died on the cross for us and that's good enough for me. That's why I can display my tree and my lights and eat candy canes and drink eggnog. So if you're a Christian and you're getting upset about people saying Happy Holidays, where does Santa come into play exactly? Last time I checked, Santa had nothing to do with the story. And I've read the story quite a bit. Santa's not mentioned in there.

I honestly don't give a crap if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Winter Solstice, Happy Hannukah or whatever else. Which is why I usually end up writing ChrismaHannaKwanzaaSolistice. I think there are more holidays than that but I can never remember them all. At least they're not saying “Hey go hump a log buddy”. I'll take a happy whatever I can get! I say Merry Christmas because that's what I celebrate. If you don't celebrate that, be sure to tell me and I'll wish you a happy whatever you celebrate. It honestly does not matter. If someone is wishing you health and happiness, does it really matter which words they use? Before you go getting all upset that you don't see more nativity scenes, try putting one up in your own yard/house. If you're so upset about someone calling it a holiday tree, stop celebrating a Pagan holiday. It's a TREE. Jesus made all trees so they're all important. Your whole life is not going to be ruined because someone wishes you a happy holiday. I promise!

Most people I know, whether Christian, Atheist, Pagan, Agnostic or whatever, honestly don't mind if you say Merry Christmas. They might say Happy Holidays back or they might just smile and think you're a weirdo. But most don't mind it, because that's what a lot of people celebrate. If you're not sure, just say Happy Holidays cuz there are a lot of them this time of year. Or you can just wish someone a nice day. Either way, it's a nice gesture. If someone makes a smart remark, just smile at them and go on about your day. Unfortunately there are some quite militant Atheists and Christians alike but I don't know them because I'd never be friends with them. :)

Instead of getting hung up on wording and slogans, why we don't try to act more Christlike? Instead of getting upset at someone, give them a smile and buy them a hot drink. It's pretty dang cold around here and I know I appreciate a hot drink when I'm freezing. Don't you think that would Jesus happier than seeing His children fight, no matter what holiday? If you're going to insist on celebrating Jesus' birth, why not be a light for Him instead of being a jerk in His name? I'm pretty sure He's not okay with people being jerks in His name. Hand out cookies to your neighbors, go Christmas caroling, give to Sub For Santa/Toys For Tots. Do something instead of just complaining.

Jesus is the reason for EVERY season, not just this one. So lighten up! And happy whatever the heck you celebrate!

Here's the replies I had made as I read the post in it's originality over on FaceBook...

OH HECK YEAH!!.... "We can't keep Christ in Christmas because He was never there. Because of all the confusion getting caught up in Christians insisting He was born in December, we can't even really be sure when He was born!"

Another OH SNAP MOMENT!!... "Jesus didn't command us to do any of those things at the time of His birth. Come to think of it, He really didn't tell us to celebrate His birth at all! It seems to me that those who are most upset about people saying Happy Holidays or calling a tree a holiday tree are the ones who insist that Jesus was born on Dec. 25th..."

BAM!!!! "Most people I know, whether Christian, Atheist, Pagan, Agnostic or whatever, honestly don't mind if you say Merry Christmas. They might say Happy Holidays back or they might just smile and think you're a weirdo. But most don't mind it, because that's what a lot of people celebrate. If you're not sure, just say Happy Holidays cuz there are a lot of them this time of year. Or you can just wish someone a nice day. "

3 comments:

Dave said...

This is a great post.

I was talking with a co-worker a week or two ago, who is Moslem (not Sunni or Shiite, but the lesser-known version that nobody ever really talks about).

Anyway, she said her family (and her husband's family even more so) celebrate Christmas as a cultural thing. They moved to Canada in the 50s (and her husband's family in the 20s) and just started doing it to kind of fit in.

They celebrate all the secular aspects, and in fact I think they even go to their mosque on Christmas Eve.

But to them, there are no religious trappings to it whatsoever. It's a completely "western culture" type of thing.

I found that kind of neat.

Ashley said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing xo

Neva said...

Great post! Your friend is right on! Most Bible scholars actually believe that Jesus' birth took place in April, which was when people of the time went to their city of origin to pay their taxes, which is what Mary and Joseph were doing in Bethlehem. December is not when Jesus was born ... and the tree and Santa stuff definitely have nothing to do with the real Christmas. They are merely traditions that have passed through the ages.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...